Monday, September 17, 2007

Getting Back Into the Groove

Oi! I've been back from the Con for two weeks now. I'm still trying to get used to NOT seeing Klingons and Stormtroopers around every corner. It is amazing how quickly I get used to the Con atmosphere and how long it takes me to "decompress" back into the "Real World" TM.

I am already planning my costumes for next year:

1 - Raven. I already have the OYL costume done. Now I want to be brave and try the McKone style Raven (cloak, dress, thigh boots). I have the spandex. I have some patterns that I can adapt to create the other parts. Now I just need to get started!

2- Jane Sagan from Old Man's War. This one is going to be a challenge, since I cannot find any illustrations of this character. I love Mr. Scalzi's work, however his penchant for leaving things undescribed makes it difficult to cosplay his characters. In re-reading the series, I've come up with the following description for the CU CDF dress uniforms: blue.

All righty, then. I do have something to start with. I have designed a military patch for a uniform, and it will match a blue one pretty well. Since the planet Phoenix is pretty prominent in that 'verse, and since torches have long been a symbol on military uniforms, I decided to go with a phoenix-and-torch motif, with the body of the phoenix behind the torch in such a way that the head of the phoenix becomes the "flame" for the torch. I have it sketched out on graph paper now. I may scan it in later and post it here to see if folks like it.

I just need to come up with a plausible design for the actual uniform. Something military and dressy, but not too flashy, since she is Special Forces... and they don't like to advertise themselves. Oh, and green skin and cat's eyes. This will be my first foray into theatrical makeup! (*rubs hands together*) This oughta be interesting.

No comments: